Swede & pancetta spaghetti
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 3
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g swede , peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 onion , roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 40g parmesan , grated, plus extra to serve
- 300g spaghetti
- 120g diced pancetta (smoked if you can get it)
- 2 thyme sprigs , leaves picked, plus extra to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, then add the swede, onion and garlic and fry for 5 mins. Cover with a lid and cook for a further 10-15 mins, stirring so it doesn’t stick, until the swede is completely soft. Set aside to cool, then blitz in a food processor or mash with the parmesan and a large pinch of seasoning. Add a splash of water to loosen the sauce.
- STEP 2
Cook the pasta in salted water for 1 min less than pack instructions, reserving a little of the cooking water. Meanwhile, use the frying pan you used for the sauce to fry the pancetta until crisp, around 5 mins. Add the thyme and fry for 1 min, then tip into the sauce.
- STEP 3
Using tongs, transfer the pasta to the sauce, add the reserved water, and give everything a good toss around the pan, so the pasta is well coated in the sauce. Season, then split between bowls, top with more parmesan and a big grind of black pepper to serve.