- ½ tbsp olive oil , plus extra for drizzling
- ½ small onion , sliced
- ½ small red pepper , thinly sliced into strips
- 1 garlic clove , halved
- 227g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 210g can butter beans or chickpeas, drained
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 slice seeded bread
- a few parsley sprigs, finely chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a small pan, add the onion and pepper, and fry gently until soft, about 10-15 mins. Crush half the garlic and add this to the pan, along with the tomatoes, paprika, vinegar, beans, sugar and some seasoning. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 mins or until slightly reduced and thickened.
- STEP 2
Toast the bread, rub with the remaining garlic and drizzle with a little oil. Spoon the beans over the toast, drizzle with a little more oil and scatter over the parsley.