Smashed avocado with crispy chicken, pickled onions & tortillas
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus marinating
- Serves 4
- 2 large, very ripe avocados
- juice 1 lemon
- 8 seeded soft tortillas , or your favourite flatbreads, warmed
- small bunch coriander , to serve
For the onions
- 1 large red onion , very thinly sliced
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
For the chicken
- 4 skinless chicken breasts , each cut into 3-4 chunky strips
- 284ml pot buttermilk
- 85g polenta or cornmeal
- 85g plain flour
- 1 tbsp sesame seed
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic salt (or normal salt)
- sunflower oil , for shallow-frying
- STEP 1
Mix the chicken strips with the buttermilk and chill for about half a day.
- STEP 2
Mix all the onion ingredients, season with salt and set aside to marinate for at least 30 mins or up to half a day.
- STEP 3
Mix together the polenta or cornmeal, flour, sesame seeds, paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and garlic salt on a plate. Heat 2cm sunflower oil in a deep frying pan (or slightly more in a big wok) until a cube of bread browns in 1 min. Lift the chicken from the buttermilk and drop into the flour mix, tossing to coat well. Add about 3 chicken strips at a time to the oil and fry, turning, until golden on all sides and just cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper while you fry the rest.
- STEP 4
Halve and stone each avocado, scrape out the flesh into a bowl with the lemon juice and some seasoning, and very roughly smash together with the back of a spoon. Spread over the warm tortillas or flatbreads, top with the crispy chicken, pickled onions and some coriander, and roll up to tuck in.