Sicilian aubergine, pine nut & raisin fusilli
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion , finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , finely sliced
- 1 small dried red chilli , chopped
- handful oregano or marjoram, roughly chopped
- 2 medium aubergines , diced into 2.5cm/1in cubes
- 50g raisins
- 4 large tomatoes , chopped
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp baby capers , rinsed, drained and roughly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp good quality red wine vinegar
- 400g fusilli
- small handful mint , roughly chopped
- 50g pine nuts , toasted
- aged ricotta or vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese (try Bookhams 'Not just a pasta cheese'), to serve
- STEP 1
In a heavy based pan, heat ½ tbsp of oil and gently cook the onion, garlic and chilli until soft with half the oregano.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat 3-4 tbsp of oil in another frying pan and start browning the aubergines. Once cooked, add to the onion mixture. Fry the raisins in another ½ tbsp oil and, when they have puffed up, add to the aubergine mix. Add the tomatoes, purée and rest of the oregano. Cook on a medium heat for 15-20 mins so all the flavours come together.
- STEP 3
Finally add the capers and the vinegar and leave on a low heat while you cook the pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water. If the mixture becomes very thick add 100ml of water. Toss the pasta through the aubergine sauce and sprinkle with fresh mint and the pine nuts. Let everyone grate over their own cheese.