Roast pepper & chorizo salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 8 red peppers (or buy 2 bags of value peppers – it doesn’t matter if there are a couple of yellow or green ones in there)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves , 6 unpeeled, 2 peeled and thinly sliced
- 225g chorizo ring, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 eggs
- large handful rocket leaves
- crusty bread , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Rub the peppers with 1 tbsp of the oil, then roast in the oven with the 6 unpeeled garlic cloves for 40-45 mins until soft. Put the peppers in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to steam for 10 mins until cool enough to handle. Remove the stalks and seeds from the peppers, peel and discard the skin.
- STEP 2
Put 4 peppers and the garlic in a container and chill for tomorrow’s dinner (if you have different coloured peppers, then keep 4 red ones for tomorrow), and tear the remaining peppers into chunks.
- STEP 3
Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Fry the chorizo for a couple of mins until the oils start to leak into the pan. Stir in the sliced garlic and the paprika, cook for 1 min, then add the chickpeas and cook for a further 3-4 mins. Splash in the vinegar and add the torn peppers. Remove from the heat and season.
- STEP 4
Poach the eggs. Toss the rocket with the chickpea mix and divide between 4 plates. Top each with a poached egg and serve with crusty bread, if you like.