- 85g golden caster sugar
- 1 ¼kg red cabbage , quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 large onions , halved and thinly sliced
- 2 eating apples , such as Cox's, peeled quartered, cored and very thickly sliced
- 4 raw beetroot , peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 cinnamon sticks , snapped in half
- 3 star anise
- 300ml red wine
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 25g butter
- STEP 1
1 Mix the sugar with 1 tsp salt and plenty of black pepper. In a large, heavy-bottomed pan, layer up a handful of the cabbage, onions, apples and beetroot with the spices and sprinkle with some of the sugar, repeating with the layers until all the ingredients are used up.
- STEP 2
Mix the wine, vinegar and stock cube, pour over the cabbage and dot the butter on top. Tightly cover the pan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. When you can hear it boiling, turn down the heat to low and simmer for 30 mins. Stir well – the mixture will have reduced and softened – then cover and simmer for 15-30 mins more depending on how soft you like it.