Quinoa salad with avocado mayo
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Easy to put together and full of flavour, this healthy lunch option proides iron, folate, vitamin C and fibre. Make it vegetarian by leaving out the chicken
- 70g quinoa
- 75g avocado , halved and stoned
- 1 small garlic clove , finely grated
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 lemon , juiced and half zested
- 198g can sweetcorn , drained
- 160g cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 x 5cm chunks cucumber , diced
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 100g cooked chicken (optional)
- STEP 1
Put the quinoa in a pan of boiling water and simmer for about 18 mins until the grains burst. Tip into a sieve and rinse under cold water.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, scoop the avocado into a bowl and add the garlic, mustard and 2 tbsp lemon juice, then blitz with a hand blender or in a food processor until smooth. Add 1-2 tbsp cold water if it's too thick.
- STEP 3
Stir the lemon zest into the quinoa, along with the corn, salad vegetables, mint and pumpkin seeds, then flavour with a little more lemon juice. Tip onto plates or into containers. Top with the chicken, if using, and spoon over the avocado mayo.