- 100g cream cheese
- 100g crème fraîche, soured cream, double or whipping cream – or a mixture of all your leftovers
- 100g smoked salmon trimmings, half diced, plus extra to decorate (optional)
- 2-3 tsp creamed horseradish
Horseradish root is larger than an ordinary radish, and has a hot, peppery flavour.
- lemon wedge
Oval in shape with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile…
- few dill sprigs, to decorate (optional)
- melba toast, crackers or toasted rye bread, and a few leaves, to serve
Put the cream cheese, the leftover creams, 50g salmon, 2 tsp horseradish and a small squeeze of lemon juice in a food processor or blender. Whizz until smooth, then scrape into a mixing bowl. Fold in the remaining salmon, then taste – add another tsp horseradish if you like, plus seasoning if needed. Divide the mixture between 4 small ramekins and chill for at least 2 hrs.
Before serving, decorate the rillettes with a spiral of salmon or a few dill sprigs, if you like. Add a pot to a plate with a few leaves and some crunchy Melba toast, or similar, and serve.