Potted salmon rillette
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 2 hrs chilling, no cook
- Serves 4
This delicious starter is similar to a pâté, made with smoked salmon, cream cheese and horseradish for a kick - serve on crackers or toast
- 100g cream cheese
- 100g crème fraîche , soured cream, double or whipping cream – or a mixture of all your leftovers
- 100g smoked salmon trimmings, half diced, plus extra to decorate (optional)
- 2-3 tsp creamed horseradish
- lemon wedge
- few dill sprigs, to decorate (optional)
- melba toast , crackers or toasted rye bread, and a few leaves, to serve
- STEP 1
Put the cream cheese, the leftover creams, 50g salmon, 2 tsp horseradish and a small squeeze of lemon juice in a food processor or blender. Whizz until smooth, then scrape into a mixing bowl. Fold in the remaining salmon, then taste – add another tsp horseradish if you like, plus seasoning if needed. Divide the mixture between 4 small ramekins and chill for at least 2 hrs.
- STEP 2
Before serving, decorate the rillettes with a spiral of salmon or a few dill sprigs, if you like. Add a pot to a plate with a few leaves and some crunchy Melba toast, or similar, and serve.