Pear parkin pudding with custard
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 200g porridge oats
- 200g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 175g treacle
- 140g butter , plus extra for the dish and dotting over
- 140g light muscovado sugar , plus a bit more
- 2 balls stem ginger from a jar, chopped, plus some of the syrup to serve
- 1 large egg
- 150ml milk
- 4 ripe pears , peeled, stalks cut off, cored and halved
- custard , to serve (see recipe below)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Butter a 30 x 20cm baking dish. Mix the first four ingredients together. Melt the treacle, butter and sugar together in a large saucepan, then stir in the dry ingredients, half of the chopped ginger, the egg and milk to give a smooth batter.
- STEP 2
Spoon into the baking dish, then sit the pear halves in the batter. Dot more butter over each pear half and sprinkle with a little more sugar. Bake for 1 hr until risen all over and a skewer inserted into the middle of the pudding comes out clean.
- STEP 3
To serve, scatter the rest of the ginger over the fruit, then drizzle all over with syrup from the jar. Serve in rectangles with custard, below.