Cumin-roasted broccoli with preserved lemon yogurt
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6 (as as side)
- 500g purple sprouting broccoli, trimmed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
For the toasted spiced breadcrumbs
- 2 small slices of stale white bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp cayenne pepper
For the preserved lemon yogurt
- 1 preserved lemon, finely chopped, seeds discarded
- 100g full-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, finely grated
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Check the stalks of the broccoli are roughly the same thickness, if not, halve the bigger stems of broccoli lengthways. Rub the broccoli with the oil, then sprinkle over the cumin and some seasoning. Tip onto a baking sheet in a single layer, and roast for about 15-20 mins, or until tender with just a little light charring, turning halfway through.
- STEP 2
For the breadcrumbs, heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Tear the bread into small pieces and bake for 5 to 10 mins, or until crunchy, then tip into a food processor and blitz into breadcrumbs.
- STEP 3
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat, then add the garlic, spices, the breadcrumbs and some seasoning. Fry, stirring regularly, for about 5 mins until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
- STEP 4
For the yogurt, mix together all the ingredients and season to taste. Serve the broccoli with the breadcrumbs scattered over and the yogurt on the side for dipping.