Crunchy red cabbage slaw
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 300g red cabbage
- 1 large carrot , coarsely grated
- 1 red-skinned apple , coarsely grated
- bunch spring onions , thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
To make with roast chicken
- stalks from a punnet of mustard cress
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 500g roast chicken
To make with marinated chicken
- leaves from a large bunch of basil
- ground fenugreek or coriander
- zest and juice 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 4 chicken breasts
- STEP 1
Using a large knife, shred the cabbage and place in a large bowl with the carrot, apple and spring onions.
- STEP 2
Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar and oil. Season then toss with the salad. Serve or see our suggestions, below right.
- STEP 3
To make with roast chicken, snip the stalks from a punnet of mustard cress and stir half into the coleslaw with the wholegrain mustard. Divide between plates then scatter the roast chicken (leftovers or shop bought) on top. Sprinkle with the remaining cress and serve.
- STEP 4
To make with marinated chicken, heat the grill to high. Tear the leaves from a large bunch basil and scatter half of them into the coleslaw. Chop the rest and mix with a pinch ground fenugreek or coriander, zest and juice of the lime, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Rub the chicken breasts in the lime mix (leave to marinate for 10 mins if time), then grill for 6 mins on each side until golden and cooked through. Thickly slice and serve on top of the coleslaw.