Chilli & ginger squash with kale & quinoa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 2
- 500g butternut squash, deseeded and cut into slices
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes, according to taste
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into 12 wedges
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and very thinly sliced
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 100g uncooked quinoa
- 100g green beans, trimmed and halved
- 100g frozen sweetcorn
- 75g kale, thickly shredded
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the squash in a roasting tin and toss with 1 tbsp of the oil and lots of ground black pepper. Bake for 15 mins. Take out of the oven and turn the slices, sprinkle with the chilli flakes and return to the oven for a further 15-20 mins or until tender and lightly browned.
- STEP 2
While the squash is roasting, heat the remaining oil in a large, wide-based non-stick saucepan pan or sauté pan. Add the onion and pepper to the pan and cook for 5 mins, stirring regularly until softened and lightly browned.
- STEP 3
Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry together for 1 1/2 mins. Sprinkle over the cumin and coriander and fry for 30 secs, stirring. Stir in the quinoa, beans and sweetcorn. Pour over 600ml/1 pint just-boiled water, add 1/2tsp flaked sea salt and bring to the boil, adding a splash more water if needed.
- STEP 4
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 12 mins, stirring regularly. Add the kale and continue cooking for a further 3 mins, or until the quinoa and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Divide between two deep plates or bowls and top with the squash.