- 75g uncooked quinoa
Tiny, bead-shaped seeds (although more similarly treated like grains) with a little tail…
- 140g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 75g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small pack coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- finely grated zest and juice 1 lime
The same shape, but smaller than…
- ½ long red chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if you don’t like it too hot)
- 1 ripe but firm avocado
Although it's technically a fruit, the mild-flavoured avocado is used as a vegetable. Native…
- 25g mixed nuts, such as brazils, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans and walnuts
Half fill a medium pan with water and bring to the boil. Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve then add to the water, stir well and simmer for about 12 mins or until just tender.
While the quinoa is cooking, put the sweetcorn in a dry frying pan and place over a medium-high heat. Cook for 5-6 mins, turning every now and then until lightly toasted. Set aside.
Rinse the cooked quinoa in a sieve under cold water, then press hard with a ladle or serving spoon to remove as much of the excess water as possible.
Tip the quinoa into a bowl and toss with the olive oil, sweetcorn, tomatoes, coriander, spring onions, lime zest and chilli. Season well with black pepper.
Halve and stone the avocado. Scoop out the flesh with a large metal spoon and cut into slices. Toss with the lime juice. Add the avocado and nuts to the salad and toss gently together before serving.