Braised peas with bacon, lentils & cod
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 25g butter
- 4 sustainable cod fillets, about 100g/4oz each, skin on
For the peas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 thick slices of back bacon , cut into matchsticks
- 300g shelled pea (fresh or frozen)
- 410g can lentil , drained and washed
- 2 lemons , 1 juiced, 1 quartered
- large handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
- STEP 1
To make the pea braise, heat half the olive oil in a shallow saucepan, then sizzle bacon for 5 mins until crisp. Turn the heat down, add the peas to the pan, then cover and braise for 8-10 mins until peas are tender (about 5 mins if you’re using frozen peas). Add the lentils to the peas and cook until heated, then remove from heat and dress with lemon juice, seasoning and a bit more olive oil, if necessary. Just before serving, stir through the mint.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan until frothy, then add the fish, skin-side down, and cook for 4 mins until the skin is crisp and the fish almost cooked. Flip the fillets over and cook for 1 min. Divide the peas between 4 plates and top with fish. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with a wedge of lemon.