Aubergine & chilli tagliolini
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large aubergine , cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400g fresh tomatoes , roughly chopped, or 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 400g dried taglioni pasta or linguine
- small bunch basil , roughly chopped
- 50g pecorino , grated, or vegetarian alternative
- STEP 1
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the aubergine for 5 mins until starting to brown and soften.
- STEP 2
Add the onion, garlic, chilli and oregano, and cook for just a few mins. Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and about 200ml water, then reduce heat and simmer gently for about 20 mins, until the tomatoes are reduced and really softened, and the sauce is thickened.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the tagliolini following pack instructions. Drain the pasta and return to the pan. Add the sauce and toss well into the pasta with the basil. Serve with the grated pecorino.