All-in-one spring roast chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 - 5
A complete meal in one pot- juicy whole chicken with spring vegetables that takes minutes to assemble
- 1 free-range chicken , about 1.6kg/3lb 8oz
- 50g/ 2oz butter , softened
- 500g bag new potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g pack baby carrot , scrubbed or peeled
- 140g/ 5oz podded broad bean , podded again if you like
- 100g/ 4oz frozen pea , defrosted
- good handful roughly-chopped mixed herbs (mint, tarragon, parsley, chervil and chives are all nice)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Sit the chicken in a good-sized roasting dish or tin. Push your fingers between the breast and skin to separate, push in some of the softened butter and gently spread over the breasts without tearing the skin. Rub the rest of the butter all over the outside of the chicken. Season well and roast for 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Toss the new potatoes with the olive oil and plenty of seasoning. When the chicken comes out, scatter the spuds around it and toss with the juices in the dish, too. Put back in the oven for another 30 mins.
- STEP 3
Stir the carrots into the potatoes and put back into the oven for another 20 mins.
- STEP 4
Check the chicken is cooked by piercing the thigh and making sure the juices run clear. Stir the broad beans and peas into the other veg with a splash of water and put back in the oven for 5 mins. Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 mins. Scatter over and stir in the herbs before serving.