Spicy parsnip & carrot soup
Member recipe by jillsymes
Sweet, nutty root vegetables in a delicious soup topped with a swirl of cream. Comfort food at its best.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 500g parsnips, chopped
- 250g carrots, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube, made up to 1 litre
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 4 teaspoons cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Half tablespoon curry powder
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion, celery sticks, garlic and grated fresh ginger and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped parsnips and carrots and pour in the vegetable stock. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender; about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup, in batches, adding more stock to get the right consistency. If you're freezing the soup, cool completely and freeze in airight containers for up to 3 months.
- To serve, reheat and drizzle each bowl with a tablespoon of cream and top each bowl with half tablespoon of the toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Cook's tip: To toast pumpkin seeds, place in a pan over a medium heat and dry fry until the seeds begin to pop.