These friendly flowerpot characters are the perfect way to get kids buzzing about planting their own herb garden, with the added bonus of being really enjoyable to make. If you want, you can learn how to make a pom-pom and use this instead of a shop-bought version.
Discover more crafts, cooking ideas, fun and games on our activities for kids page.
How to make a bee flowerpot
Prep 1-2 hours, plus drying time
You will need
- acrylic paint
- clay or terracotta plant pot
- black pipe cleaner
- googly eyes
- Begin by painting the outside of your pot white (this will help the yellow look bright and even). Allow to dry, then paint a yellow layer – you may need to do more than one coat. Allow to dry between each layer of paint.
- Paint black horizontal stripes around the outside of the pot. When painting the stripes, it’s easiest to hold the paintbrush still and move the pot, not the other way around. Allow to dry.
- Apply glue to the back of a pom-pom, then allow to dry slightly before attaching to the pot, hold in place until it stays. Allow to dry.
- Cut your pipe cleaner to approximately 12cm (5in) in length and then bend into a V shape to make your antennae. Glue to the pot above your pom-pom.
- Finish by gluing two googly eyes onto the pom-pom. Allow to dry.
Looking for more fun ideas? Try these:
Have you made bee flowerpots with your kids? We’d love to hear about your creations below…