Points to remember
- Roll out the pastry to a large circle on a lightly floured surface. Use your rolling pin to lift it up, then drape over the tart case so there is an overhang of pastry on the sides.
- First use your fingers and then a small ball of pastry scraps to push the pastry into the tin.
- Use your rolling pin to trim the edges neatly by rolling it along the top of the tin. Gently press the pastry up the sides so that it comes slightly over the top. This will counteract any shrinkage during cooking.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, this also helps to combat shrinking. Preheat your oven to the temperature stated in the recipe.
- Line the tart case with a large circle of greaseproof paper. If you scrunch it up a bit beforehand, it will fit in more snuggly.
- Fill with baking beans and bake the tart for around 20 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, then continue to cook for around 5-10 mins until biscuit brown.
- While the tart is cooking, make the filling by beating the eggs, cream and seasoning in a jug. Fill the pastry case with your chosen filling and pour over the egg mixture. Bake until set and golden brown. Leave to cool in the case, trim the edges of the pastry, then remove from the tin.
HOW TO MAKE QUICHE
Baking blind means to pre-cook a pastry case without it’s filling. You do this when the pastry needs to cook longer than the filling or if the filling doesn’t need cooking at all.