Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Pork, Squash and Chickpea stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
A relatively quick and hearty autumnal dish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g pork belly strips, cut into small chunks (rind removed)
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 2-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- The leaves only of 5 sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 small squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1-2 tbsp chopped parsley
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a large heavy-based lidded frying pan or cast-iron casserole dish on relatively high heat. Season well and then brown the pork in batches until brown and well caramelised all over. Set aside. (Be careful as the fat will spit a lot)
- STEP 2Turn heat down, add the onions and cook for 5 mins or until starting to soften. Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf, crushed cumin seeds and if using, chilli flakes, and cook for 2 mins
- STEP 3Return the pork to the pan with the onion and spice mix. Add the squash and the tinned tomatoes. Fill the empty can with water then add to the dish. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and partially cover. Cook for 30 mins. Check to make sure the squash is all cooked evenly and if necessary, give it a stir and cook for another 10-15 mins.
- STEP 4Add the chickpeas, heat through, taste and season as/if needed. Add the lemon zest and parsley. Serve in big bowls with crusty bread.