Perfect Minestrone Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
Very simple to make, low calorie and delicious soup
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 carrot
- Savoy cabbage (a quarter)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 300 g cubed gammon/ham hock
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 75g spaghetti
- Handful of chopped fresh Basil
- 25ml olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- STEP 1Dice the onion, carrot, celery and leek and fry lightly in olive oil for 5 minutes, then add the crushed garlic cloves. Continue to cook on a low heat for 3 minutes.
- STEP 2Add the diced gammon/ham, tinned tomatoes, shredded Savoy cabbage.
- STEP 3Add 1.5 litres of vegetable stock.
- STEP 4Break the spaghetti into pieces approximately 3cm long and add to the pot.
- STEP 5Simmer for approximately one hour.
- STEP 6Five minutes before serving, add one handful of torn fresh Basil.
- STEP 7Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.