Pea, Ham and Nutmeg soup.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
You cant beat a good pea and ham soup anytime of the year, mines just like the classic with a few extras! Tasty!
- Olive oil or Fry light cooking spray
- 4 Rashes of unsmoked bacon
- 1 Large Garlic clove
- 400g Peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1 Baking potato
- 700ml Vegtable stock
- 1/2 Tsp of nutmeg, or half a grated nutmeg.
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Corriander
- Salt and Pepper
Use a deep pan suitable for soups for cooking.
- Use a deep pan suitable for soups for cooking.
- STEP 1Firstly cut the rinds of the bacon and fry all the bacon with 1 rind in a few sprays of cooking spray or 1tsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- STEP 2Fry for 5 mins on a low heat.
- STEP 3Finely chop the garlic and add to bacon.
- STEP 4Fry for another minuite with the bacon.
- STEP 5Meanwhile peel and dice the potato, make the vegtable stock with 700ml boiling water and vegtable stock (i used bullion).
- STEP 6Add the diced potato, peas and vegtable stock too the pan.
- STEP 7Give a quick stir, then add the nutmeg, thyme and corriander. Seasoning to taste afterwards. Give the soup another stir to make sure all the ingrediants are mixed in.
- STEP 8Simmer on a low heat for 15 minuites untill the peas and potato are soft.
- STEP 9Allow to cool for a minuite or two, then transfer to a blender, or use a handheld blender in the pan to blend the ingredients together. Blend untill a fine, thick soup has been made. Reheat if it needs it and serve with some nice brown bread and a sprig of thyme.