Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
A south Indian Rice dish with tamarind and peanuts
- Fresh Tamarind - Lemon size
- Rice- 1 cup
- Peanuts- 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder- ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies (or crushed Red Chillies from Asda/Tesco/Sainbury) - 4 whole dry chillies ( or 1 teaspoon of crushed red chillies)
- Mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- Curry Leaves - 7-10 leaves
- Oil - 2 Tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- STEP 1Soak the rice for atleast 15 minutes and then cook it with salt. Make sure the rice is not overcooked .Transfer the rice into a plate and let it cool for sometime.
- STEP 2In a small bowl, soak the tamarind with 2 cups of lukewarm water. After 15-20 minutes, mash the tamarind and remove the seeds if any.
- STEP 3In a vessel, add 2 tbspn of Oil. Once the oil is warm, add the peanuts and roast it till the peanuts begin to change colour, then remove them from the heat and put it aside in another bowl.
- STEP 4Place the vessel back on the hob, and to the remaining oil add mustard seeds,curry leaves, turmeric powder and the 2 cups of tamarind water. Let is cook on medium for 5 minutes-10 minutes till ¾ of the tamarind water gets reduced.
- STEP 5Switch the hob off and add the rice to the vessel. Tamarind Rice is ready to eat. See it on my blog https://ayoodcooks.wordpress.com/