Eggplant "cannelloni" with ricotta and spinach filling
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
This healthy version of an Italian classic is great for a meat free meal or simply if you want a big hit of vegetables without the gluten.
- 1 large eggplant
- 250g ricotta
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp finely chopped basil
- 1 tsp finely chopped parsley
- A pinch nutmeg
- 2 tbs grated parmesan
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- STEP 1Preheat a fan forced oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line a lasagne dish with baking paper and set aside. Slice the eggplant thinly and lay out flat on your work space. Sprinkle these with salt and let them rest for ten minutes before patting them dry with paper towel.
- STEP 2To create the cannelloni filling, combine the ricotta, parmesan, herbs and spinach in a bowl. Season to taste.
- STEP 3To roll the cannelloni, lay out two pieces of eggplant and slightly overlap them. Place a tablespoon of filling in the middle and roll them up. Carefully place the roll in the lined dish. Repeat until all filling and eggplant is used.
- STEP 4Pour the crushed tomatoes over the eggplant rolls, sprinkle over the cherry tomatoes, the crushed garlic and some salt and pepper. Place in the oven for an hour or until the eggplant is so tender than it could be pulled apart with a fork. Grate over some parmesan and top with herbs to serve.