Super Spicy Kedgeree
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This flavoursome version of an old favourite makes a simple quick dinner or weekend breakfast.
- 200g basmati rice
- 700g smoked haddock (smoked cod also works well)
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 peppercorns
- Oil for frying off onions
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed in a garlic press or finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons korma curry powder
- 2 cardamom pods - cracked
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- Juice and flesh of 2 lemons (or 1 lemon and 1 lime)
- Handful of flat leaved parsley - chopped (or coriander if preferred)
- 2 large eggs
- Boiling water to cook rice
- STEP 1Put the rice in a pan with the boiling water and cook for 10 mins. Once cooked switch off and drain.
- STEP 2At the same time put the eggs in another pan with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 8 mins. Drain and fill pan with cold water to cool the eggs.
- STEP 3Put the fish in another pan with enough cold water to cover. Add bay leaves and peppercorns, bring to the boil and turn down heat. Poach for 5 mins, then leave pan to cool. Lift out the fish and flake.
- STEP 4Chop onions, garlic and ginger whilst rice is cooking. Heat oil in another pan and gently fry onions for 5 mins until softened. Add garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cardamoms, curry powder and cook gently for a couple of minutes then add lemon juice and flesh.
- STEP 5Add rice and flaked fish to the spice mixture and heat gently making sure it is well combined. Stir in chopped parsley. Pile onto serving dish.
- STEP 6Peel eggs and cut into quarters lengthwise and place on top of the rice mixture.