Easy Moong Dal (Mashed Yellow Split Peas)
- Preparation and cooking time
- up to an extra hour till the lentils are soft enough
- Serves 6
- 1 1/2 cups yellow split peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons jalapenos, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh turmeric, grated ( or 1 teaspoon dried turmeric)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or a combination of oil and butter) or 2 tablespoons ghee butter
- Lemon juice ( 1/2 to 1 Lemon, to your taste )
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- fresh cilantro to garnish
- STEP 1Boil the split yellow peas in plenty of water for about 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour, until tender. Add more water if it starts evaporating too quickly, add more as needed. By the end of the cooking time, the split peas should have the dry consistency of mash, most lentils will have lost their shape and most of the water will have evaporated.
- STEP 2Remove pot from the heat, drain the lentils and add salt to taste. Cover and put to one side.
- STEP 3Chop the onion, and mix with the jalapeno peppers, curry powder and turmeric.
- STEP 4Heat the oil or ghee over medium heat in a heavy saute pan with lid. When oil is hot, add the black mustard seeds. Cover the pan, continue cooking the mustard seeds until the popping slows down.
- STEP 5Add onion mixture to the pan and saute until the onion is translucent. Lastly, stir in the cooked split peas. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice half at first, try & add the rest if you like more. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- STEP 6Garnish serving`s with choped cilantro leaves if you can get them. Serve with your fav. rice. (Always nicer next day)