Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Hoisin & Plum glazed Ham
- Preparation and cooking time
- cook in slow cooker
- Serves 8
Gammon Joint cooked in Coke in the slow cooker. Then basted and finished in the oven at 180C. Serves 6-8
- 2-3kg gammon joint
- 15-20 Whole Star Anise
- 125ml Hoisin Sauce
- 125ml Plum Sauce
- 60ml Chinese Rice Wine
- 60ml Soy Sauce
- 60g Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1 Bootle Coke
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.
- STEP 2Using a small sharp knife, cut through the rind around the shank of the ham. Carefully lift the rind from the fat in one piece, running your fingers through where the rind and fat are joined to ease away. Reserve the rind and use to cover the cut ham when storing.
- STEP 3Score the white fat in a diamond pattern and press star anise into the centre of every second or third scored diamond.
- STEP 4Place the ham on a rack over a roasting tray, then pour a small amount of water into the base of the roasting tray to prevent the glaze from burning.
- STEP 5Place the remaining ham ingredients into a saucepan over low heat, stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- STEP 6Remove the glaze mixture from the heat and carefully pour over the ham making sure that all of the exposed fat is covered.
- STEP 7Transfer the ham to the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes, basting occasionally, until the ham is golden all over.
- STEP 8Remove the ham from the oven and place it onto a large platter ready to carve.