- Preparation and cooking time
- 1 hour 15 minutes proving
- A challenge
- Makes Approx 40 Blinis
Mini buckwheat pancakes originating from Russia. Blinis are a great starter, pile them up on a plate and let every body dive in!
- 120g buckwheat flour
- 15g Active dried yeast (dissolved in warm water)
- 150ml warm milk
- 120g plain flour
- 150ml milk
- 2 eggs, yolks & whites separated
- l tsp sugar
- 20g melted butter
- pinch of salt
- STEP 1Sift the buckwheat flour into bowl, add the dissolved yeast and warm milk, whisk to a batter. Leave for fifteen minutes.
- STEP 2Mix the plain flour with the other milk and add the egg yolks, sugar, melted butter and salt.
- STEP 3Whisk the two blends together, cover with cling film and leave for an hour.
- STEP 4Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and gently fold in to the mixture taking care to retain the air.
- STEP 5Lightly oil and heat a heavy cast-iron frying pan or griddle, when smoke starts to rise off of the pan or griddle add the batter in dessert spoon sized dollops, shape the batter into approximate circles. Turn them over when bubbles appear on top and cook the other side. tip: Hold the bowl with the mixture over the pan when spooning the batter or you will end up with sticky trails everywhere.
- STEP 6Serve with sour cream and a selection of treats .... smoked salmon, marinated mushrooms, roasted peppers and if you dare to be extravagant ..... caviar.
- STEP 7Caviar ranges from the economical such as lumpfish (strong fishy flavour), salmon (not so fishy) — both available in some supermarkets — to the expensive Sevruga, Oscietra and Beluga.