Pastitsio a la greque
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- A challenge
- Serves 8
The alternative of Moussaka - For all those who love pasta.
- 1 kg minced meat
- Olive oil (about 1/3 of a cup)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Â½ cup wine
1 tablespoon oregano (or Herb Blend for Moussaka)
- Salt & Pepper
- Â½ kg thick spaghetti (if you donât find thick spaghetti you can use penne)
- Â¼ cup melted butter
- 1 cup grated cheese (cheddar or gouda)
For the bÃ©chamel sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 4-5 tablespoons flour
- 1 litre milk
- Â¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 egg
- Salt & Pepper
- STEP 1Prepare the minced meat. In a saucepan put some olive oil, the onion, garlic and minced meat, and sautÃ©. Add the wine and cover the saucepan. Let it cook for 5 minutes then add the chopped tomatoes with the ketchup, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir the food and cook for about 20 minutes until all the excess liquid is gone from the meat.
- STEP 2In a saucepan put plenty of salted water, bring to the boil and add the spaghetti. When cooked, strain and pour the melted butter over the pasta. Stir well and put it in a deep baking tray. Put the cooked minced meat on top and open up pockets to allow the meat to spread through the spaghetti so that you donât have just minced meat on the surface but both spaghetti and minced meat are well blended. Sprinkle some grated cheese over the top.
- STEP 3Prepare the bÃ©chamel sauce. In a non-stick saucepan heat most of the milk with the butter and put the remaining milk in a bowl with the flour, making a paste. Pour the flour paste and milk into the saucepan with the hot milk and bring to the boil. Wait until the sauce thickens and starts making small bubbles, then stir thoroughly. Leave it for 2 minutes (from the moment the bubbles start), then remove from the heat.
- STEP 4Beat the egg and add to the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and add Â½ cup of grated cheese.
- STEP 5Pour this mixture over the tray and with a spoon open little slots to let some of the sauce blend with the spaghetti. The top should be a nice layer of bÃ©chamel sauce.
- STEP 6Put the tray into the oven at 180Â°C for 20 minutes, or until the surface becomes golden brown.
- STEP 7Allow the food to stand for 10-15 minutes so that you can cut it nicely, and serve.