Spiced Tomato Lentil and Chick pea soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 22
- 4 onions chopped
- 8 carrots chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet
- 600 gr of red lentils
- 6 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1x 400g tin of chick peas
- 3 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons of medium curry powder
- 4 litres of vegetable stock (2 cubes)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bunch of chopped coriander
- STEP 1Dry fry cumin seeds for 1 min. Set aside
- STEP 2Whizz carrots, onions and scotch bonnet. Sauté for about 5 min then add cumin seeds and other spices. Sauté for further 5 mins.
- STEP 3Add chopped tomato, rinced lentils and hot stock. Simmer for 20 mins. Add chick peas. Cook a further 5 mins (or until lentils are soft).
- STEP 4Whizz up in batches and serve with fresh chopped coriander.