Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Sausages With Lentils & Mixed Mushrooms
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Simple & Satisfying Grub.Pure Comfort On A Plate...Food That Gives You A Great Big Hug!!
- 400 gramme pack of good quality pork sausages
- 1 heaped cup of puy or other small green lentils rinsed in a sieve under running water
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon or smoked pancetta,diced
- 3 cups good quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 celery sticks,diced
- 1 medium carrot,peeled & diced
- a couple of sprigs of fresh lemon thyme,leaves only
- 3 small fresh bay leaves or 2 dried
- 3 fat cloves of garlic,finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked maldon sea salt or unsmoked will do
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.malabar has a nice heat if you can get it.
- 250 grammes tesco frozen mushroom mix or mixed fresh mushrooms coarsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
- STEP 1pour the oil into a COLD,heavy bottomed pan,add the sausages,turn on the heat and,when the sausages start to sizzle,adjust your hob to maintain that heat setting.this avoids the sausages splitting.turn to brown on all sides.
- STEP 2remove the sausages & add the bacon/pancetta to the pan.stir until it starts to colour & the fat runs then add the diced veg/garlic & continue to stir for a few minutes.
- STEP 3add the lentils,herbs & mushrooms & turn to coat everything in the flavoured oil for a couple of minutes.return the sausages to the pan & add the stock.bring to the boil,cover with a tight fitting lid & turn down to a gentle simmer.stir occasionally.
- STEP 4after 15/20 minutes of simmering,remove the lid,stir,taste & add salt/pepper to taste.replace the lid & simmer for a further 10/15 mins.after the end of the cooking time virtually all of the liquid should have been absorbed & the lentils still al denté.if not,remove the lid & boil to reduce.
- STEP 5serve with crusty bread & a glass or two of chilled pinot noir