Quiche Lorraine with Corned Beef Base
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Quiche Lorraine with an alternative base to pastry
- 340g lean Corned Beef
- 1 Onion
- 5 eggs beaten
- 250g/9oz English cheddar, grated
- 200g/7oz bacon, chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz milk
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
- Freshly ground salt & pepper to taste
- tablespoon olive oil for frying
- STEP 1Roughly cut up the Onion and fry gently until softened
- STEP 2Open the Corned Beef (if you wish to reduce the fat content take off any white fat, cut the Corned Beef into slices and place onto a sheet of kitchen paper on a microwaveable plate. Put the plate into the microwave (time depends on strength of microwave) and gently heat through, the corned beef will soften and this will remove any excess fat, discard the kitchen paper).
- STEP 3Pre-heat oven to 190ºC / 375ºF / Gas 5.
- STEP 4In a bowl, mix together the Corned Beef and the chopped onion, put into the base of flan dish and press down firmly with a spoon or fork.
- STEP 5Fry the bacon pieces until crisp and sprinkle over them over the top of the base. Top with the grated cheese
- STEP 6Combine the eggs with the milk and cream in a bowl and season well. Pour over the bacon and cheese.
- STEP 7Reduce the temperature of the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3.
- STEP 8Bake for 30-40 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven.
- STEP 9Serve hot or cold on its own or with a salad