Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Roasted Ox Heart
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
Much overlooked but very cheap and extremely tasty piece of beef slow cooked and tender.
- 1 Ox Heart (it is really cow heart but the butcher calls it ox)
- 1 large onion cut in half
- 12 cloves garlic peeled and bruised
- salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 160°C with shelf towards the bottom third of the oven.
- STEP 2Trim any stringy or really hard bits from the inside of the heart
- STEP 3Place onion and garlic inside the heart and season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 4Tie the heart closed with string and season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 5Place in a roasting tin with the seam of the prepared heart on the bottom.
- STEP 6Cover with foil, making sure the foil doesn't touch the heart, and cook for 4-5 hours until juice runs clear.
- STEP 7Remove foil and cook for a further half hour at 200°C to crisp the fat if needed.
- STEP 8Serve with mashed potatoes, carrots and swede, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and gravy.