grandpa's alcoholic eggnog (Flemish style)
- Preparation and cooking time
- time in the frigde until set. Can be different each time
- Makes 1 big jar of +/- 1 liter
Original recipe on a small paper by my father. This recipe has been made for years in our family and I like to share it.
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cans of condensed sugared milk (+/- 397 g each)
- 200 ml alcohol 94° or liquor with high %
- 250 ml white sugar syrup (or sugar cane syrup)
- 15 drops of vanilla essence or rhum
- STEP 1mix the yolks until they look pale yellow (rubban)
- STEP 2add the cans of condensed milk constantly stirring.
- STEP 3Add the alchohol or liquor.
- STEP 4Add sugar syrup carefully (keep stirring)
- STEP 5Add essence (vanilla or rhum or both)
- STEP 6Pour in a glass jar and let it rest in the fridge until thickend. Store in the fridge.
- STEP 7This eggnog is eaten with a spoon out of small glasses. You can also put it on icecream, cakes... Pour it in small glass jars as a Christmas present Use the egg whites to make a big Pavlova, or small meringue tarts When kept in the fridge it will last a few weeks. If you don't have any vanilla (rhum) essence you can add a glass of rhum, whisky to the alcohol. But than use a little less alcohol.