Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Scrumpy Sausage Casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 2
Perfect comfort food. We went to somerset for a week's holiday. I picked up some local scrumpy cider and good quality sausage and this idea came to mind. It's great served with crusty bread and butter. Make sure you get good quality pork sausage, at least 70% pork content. Pork and apple sausages, pork and onion are also good. I've said that this recipe will serve 2, but I would imagine it would easily serve 4 if you upped the quantity of veg a little, and had some bread. We are just greedy!
- 6 good quality pork sausages
- 2 medium to large carrots (chopped about half an inch thick)
- 2 large potatoes (chopped into 2 inch cubes)
- 1/2 leek (chopped thinly)
- 1 regular eating apple (chopped about half inch thick)
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 1 tbsp flour (or more to make thicker)
- 1 tsp dried thyme, or mixed herbs
- 1 tsp mustard (preferably wholegrain)
- 200ml chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
- 200ml medium or dry cider
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
- STEP 1Lightly fry the sausages in some oil, we only want to colour them, they don't need to be cooked through
- STEP 2In the same pan, add the onion and cook for a 5 minutes on a low heat to soften (not brown), then add the leek, followed by the carrots. Mix well and simmer for a few more minutes. Add a splash of water if the pan is becoming too dry.
- STEP 3Add the flour to the pan and make sure the vegetables are all coated, cook for 30 seconds more.
- STEP 4Add the apple, then the cider, wait until it bubbles for a few seconds then add the chicken stock. Stir well. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on a very low heat for around an hour.
- STEP 5After an hour, check the casserole. Season with salt and pepper to taste. It should be slightly thick, but not too thick. If you'd like the casserole a bit thicker, let it simmer with the top off until you have the desired consistency.
- STEP 6Serve with crusty bread and butter. Lovely!