- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 very large courgettes or 3 courgettes, sliced length-ways up to 5mm thick
- 1 onion, diced
- Pinch mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 bowl grated cheddar
- 1 x 300g pot creme fraiche
- a few basil leaves, chopped
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 180C. Griddle courgettes until soft and place into baking dish when cooked. Meanwhile start the sauce.
- STEP 2Fry the onion until soft and translucent. Add the mixed herbs, fennel seeds and season with salt and pepper and fry for another 30s. Add the chopped tomatoes and basil and cook down until thicker.
- STEP 3Once all the courgette is cooked, turn heat off griddle pan and move cooked courgette from the baking dish back to the griddle pan. Pour a layer of the tomato sauce into the baking dish, then layer courgettes on top. Add a layer of cheddar and parmesan and repeat until near the top of the dish. For the top, put a layer of creme fraiche under the cheese.
- STEP 4Put dish in oven and cook for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned.