- Preparation and cooking time
- 60 minutes to prove
- Makes 1 very large loaf or 2 medium sized loaves
A really easy, fool-proof recipe for tasty brown bread
- 250g wholemeal bread flour
- 250g fine semolina flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 10g dried yeast
- 320ml warm water
- 15g sugar
- 3-5 tbsp olive oil
- STEP 1In a large bowl mix the flours and salt
- STEP 2In a measuring jug, dissolve sugar and yeast in half of the water
- STEP 3Once the yeast mixture is frothy, add to the flour mixture and combine by hand
- STEP 4Once all the liquid has absorbed, add the remainder of the water and combine again. Knead for 10-15 mins until smooth and elastic and the dough stops sticking to your hands.
- STEP 5Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave to prove for 40 mins in a warm place
- STEP 6Punch the dough back and add the olive oil. Combine with your hands. Divide the dough into 2 medium loaves or keep as one large batch! Roll into desired shape and place on a baking tray / loaf tin. Leave to rise for 15-20 mins.
- STEP 7In the meantime, heat the oven to 180C / gas 5. Place the bread in the oven for 18-20 mins. Immediately after removing from the oven, drizzle generously with olive oil.