Summer duck salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 duck breast , skin on and scored
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots , finely chopped
- 4 tbsp plum sauce
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 110g pack pomegranate seeds
- 1 Little Gem lettuce , quartered lengthways
- 2 medium carrots , julienned or coarsely grated
- ½ cucumber , julienned or coarsely grated
- ½ ripe avocado , stoned, peeled and quartered
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Rub the five-spice into the duck breast on both sides and place in a medium frying pan, skin-side down. Fry the breast on a medium heat for 4 mins until the skin turns golden brown. Cook for 1 min on the other side to seal the meat, then transfer to a small baking tray and wipe out the pan. Put the duck in the oven for 10 mins (or 12-14 mins if you like it cooked through).
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in the pan and gently cook the shallots for about 5 mins until soft. Add the plum sauce, soy, vinegar and sesame oil. Turn the heat to high and simmer for about 2 mins until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, tip in half the pomegranate seeds and leave to cool.
- STEP 3
Once the duck breasts are cooked, leave them to rest while you prepare the rest of the salad. Heat a griddle pan on a high heat and char the lettuce quarters for 2 mins each side. Put the carrots and cucumber in a bowl and toss with half the dressing.
- STEP 4
Pile onto a serving platter with the lettuce and avocado. Slice the duck breast into 6 thick slices, arrange on top and scatter over the remaining pomegranate seeds. Serve the extra dressing on the side.