Sticky chicken & chorizo skewers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus 2 hrs marinating and 1 hr proving
- Serves 8 (with 16 flatbreads)
For the skewers
- 100ml olive oil
- 75ml sherry vinegar
- ½ small bunch thyme , leaves picked
- 1½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 4 garlic cloves , crushed
- 3 tbsp honey
- 4-5 chicken breasts (about 650g), cut into bite-sized chunks
- 200g chorizo ring, sliced into thick coins
- 250g padron pepper , or 3 green peppers cut into pieces
- charred lemon halves or wedges, to serve
For the olive oil flatbreads
- 1.2kg strong white bread flour , plus extra for dusting
- 200ml olive oil , plus extra for proving
- 1 tbsp fine salt
- 2 x 7g sachets fast-action dried yeast
- STEP 1
Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, thyme, paprika, garlic and 2 tbsp honey with plenty of black pepper. Pour ¾ of the marinade over the chicken and chorizo, reserving the rest to glaze the skewers later. Marinate for at least 2 hrs or overnight. Whisk the leftover 1 tbsp honey into the reserved marinade.
- STEP 2
To make the flatbreads, mix the flour, olive oil, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add 700ml water and knead to a rough dough. Tip onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 mins until smooth and elastic. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover. Leave to double in size, about 1 hr.
- STEP 3
Knock the dough back and divide into 16 small balls about 140g each. Roll each out on a floured work surface until a few millimetres thick and about 20cm wide. Heat a dry frying pan on a medium high heat and cook the dough for 3-4 mins until golden underneath and large bubbles start forming. Flip and cook for 1-2 mins more until lightly golden. You can keep the flatbreads warm in a low oven or on the barbecue, wrapped in foil.
- STEP 4
Thread the chicken, chorizo and peppers onto eight large or 16 small metal skewers. Season with salt. Light a barbecue, let the flames die down and the coals turn ashy white, or heat the grill to medium high. Grill the skewers for 8-10 mins, turning every few mins until the chicken is cooked through. Use the remaining marinade to glaze the meat when turning.
- STEP 5
With a fork, slide the meat and peppers off the skewers on to the flatbreads. Serve sides separately for guests to assemble their own kebabs.