Charred spring onion & olive rice salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8 as a side
- 100g pitted Spanish green olives , drained
- bunch spring onions (150g)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 750g cooked mixed grains and rice (or 3 x 250g pouches)
- 3 tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar
- 100g sundried tomatoes , sliced
- 50g flaked almonds , toasted
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 50g manchego shavings or vegetarian alternative (optional)
- STEP 1
Thread the olives onto metal or bamboo skewers. Heat a griddle pan or light the barbecue, then when the flames have died down and the coals are white, toss the spring onions with the oil and grill for 8-10 mins to cook until tender. Grill the olives for a few mins, turning regularly, until they look a little charred. Remove the spring onions from the grill and cut into bite-sized pieces. Remove the olive skewers from the grill.
- STEP 2
Heat the grains and rice pouches, if using, in the microwave for 2 mins until warm. Toss with the vinegar, some seasoning and the sundried tomatoes with a little drizzle of the oil from the jar. Leave for a few mins for the dressing to be absorbed.
- STEP 3
Toss the olives, spring onions, toasted almonds and celery into the rice. To serve, stir through the manchego, if using, and season to taste.