Spicy courgettes with saffron risotto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g small courgette , halved lengthways
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 500g plum tomato , chopped
- 1 large red chilli , halved and deseeded
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 250g pack saffron-flavoured risotto rice
- 600ml boiling water
- fresh basil leaves and vegetarian parmesan-style cheese shavings , to garnish
- arborio rice
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan, then add the courgettes and fry for 3-4 mins until browned. Sprinkle with paprika, drain, then transfer to a shallow ovenproof baking dish.
- STEP 2
Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned.
- STEP 3
Add chopped tomatoes, chilli, sugar and seasoning, then cook for a further 2 mins. Spoon sauce over the courgettes, then put in the oven on a low shelf.
- STEP 4
Put the risotto rice into a casserole dish with the boiling water, then season. Cover and cook in the oven, above the courgettes, for 20 mins until the rice and courgettes are tender.
- STEP 5
Fluff up the rice with a fork, then spoon onto warmed serving plates. Top with the courgette mixture and garnish with fresh basil leaves and cheese.