For the shakshuka base
- 1 tbsp olive oil , for frying
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red chilli , finely chopped (deseeded if you don't like it very hot)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 red pepper , deseeded and sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- small handful coriander , half finely chopped
For the flatbreads
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a medium pan and fry the onions, garlic, bay leaf and chilli for 3 mins. Add the cumin, paprika and cayenne, season, then cook for a further 3 mins. Add the pepper and cook for 5 mins until it starts to soften.
- STEP 2
Add the chopped tomatoes and stock, lower the heat and simmer for 20-25 mins until you have a thick ragu, then stir in the finely chopped coriander.
- STEP 3
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lay each flatbread on a baking tray. Put half the vegetable mix in the centre of each and spread it out a bit, keeping at least an inch spare all the way around as a border. Make a small well in the centre and crack an egg on top of each flatbread. Crumble over the feta and put in the oven for 12-15 mins until the egg is set and the cheese melted slightly. Scatter over the remaining coriander and serve.