Seared tuna & cucumber salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus resting and 1 hr marinating
- Serves 6-8
This Asian-inspired sharing salad is topped with flavour-packed marinated tuna steaks – great for lunch or a light dinner
For the salad
- 3 cucumber , peeled, halved, deseeded and cut into ribbons or spiralised
- 1 mooli (or use extra breakfast radishes, see below), peeled and cut into ribbons or spiralised
- 8 breakfast radish , trimmed and finely sliced
- small piece ginger , peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 tbsp sushi ginger , finely chopped (optional)
- 2 sheets nori , cut into strips
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 2 limes , juiced
- large bunch coriander , chopped
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds , toasted and lightly crushed, to serve
For the dressing
- STEP 1
Whisk the soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper together in a shallow dish. Heat the sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan. Sear the steaks on both sides until cooked to your liking. Transfer to the dish with the marinade, then chill for 1 hr. Turn the steaks, then continue to chill until ready to assemble.
- STEP 2
Tip all the veg into a large serving bowl with both types of ginger and the nori. Drizzle over the mirin and lime juice, then add the coriander and chilli. Toss and rest for 20 mins.
- STEP 3
Make the dressing by whisking everything together. To serve, slice the tuna and arrange over the salad, then sprinkle over the coriander seeds and drizzle over the dressing.