Pearl barley, parsnip & sage risotto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 25g butter , plus an extra knob to stir through
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 4 parsnips , about 500g, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 10 sage leaves , shredded, plus extra to serve
- 400g pearl barley , rinsed
- 1.4l hot vegetable stock
- 25g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated, plus extra to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook gently for 5 mins. Tip in the parsnips, turn up the heat and cook for 8-10 mins, stirring every so often, until the parsnips are starting to brown and caramelise.
- STEP 2
Add the garlic and sage, and mix through. Tip in the barley and stir to coat well. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 35-40 mins, or until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed and the pearl barley is tender but still has a bite. You may need to add a little extra boiling water.
- STEP 3
Take off the heat, top with the Parmesan and a knob of butter, then leave to melt. Give the risotto a good stir, then spoon into dishes. Top with more sage, Parmesan and some black pepper.