Italian chickpea stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Serves 8
- 550g salad potato (such as Charlotte)
- 250g bag trimmed, washed spinach leaves
- 4 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried crushed chilli
- 200ml dry white wine (2 small glasses)
- 6 plum tomatoes , peeled, seeded and diced
- 2x cans chickpea (preferably organic), drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- STEP 1
Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for 15-20 minutes until tender. Meanwhile, tip the spinach into a colander or sieve, pour boiling water over it from the kettle so the spinach wilts, then hold it under the cold tap until it’s cooled down. Shake it well and leave to drain. Drain the potatoes and cut into 1cm dice.
- STEP 2
Heat the light olive oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic over a low heat for 3-4 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the chillies and wine, tip in half the tomatoes and cook over a moderate heat until nearly all the wine has evaporated. Stir in the chickpeas, diced potatoes and spinach and cook for 5 minutes.
- STEP 3
Add the lemon juice, parsley, mint, extra virgin olive oil and remaining tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the stew seems a little dry, add a splash of water or vegetable stock.