Halloumi with lemony lentils, chickpeas & beets
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 200g puy lentils
- 2 lemons
- 1 red onion , finely sliced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp capers , very roughly chopped
- 400g can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 250g cooked beetroot , cut into matchsticks
- ½ small pack parsley , roughly chopped
- 250g pack halloumi , cut into 8 slices
- STEP 1
Cook the lentils in a pan of boiling water for 20-25 mins or until just done. Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from one lemon into a bowl. Add the onion and scrunch together with a pinch of salt to pickle slightly. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Finely zest the remaining lemon and set aside for the halloumi. Squeeze the juice into a jam jar or jug. Add the oil with a pinch of seasoning and the capers – shake well and set aside. When the lentils are ready, drain and tip into a large serving bowl with the chickpeas. Toss with the dressing straight away, then toss through the beets, parsley, pickled onions and their juice.
- STEP 3
Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the halloumi for 1-2 mins each side or until golden brown. Toss with the lemon zest, then place on top of your salad to serve.