Grilled aubergines with spicy chickpeas & walnut sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- 2cm piece ginger , finely chopped
- ½ tsp each ground cumin , coriander and cinnamon
- 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 200g tomatoes , chopped
- juice ½ lemon
- 2 aubergines , sliced lengthways
For the walnut sauce
- 200g tub Greek-style yogurt
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 25g walnuts , chopped
- handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add the onion and fry until soft and lightly browned, about 10 mins. Add the chilli, ginger and spices and mix well. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes and 5 tbsp water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins. Add a little salt and pepper and the lemon juice.
- STEP 2
Arrange the aubergines over a grill pan. Brush lightly with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then grill until golden. Flip them over, brush again with oil, season and grill again until tender and golden.
- STEP 3
Mix the yogurt with the garlic, most of the walnuts and coriander and a little salt and pepper. Arrange the aubergine slices over a warm platter and spoon over the chickpea mix. Drizzle with the walnut sauce and scatter with the remaining walnuts and coriander.