Gammon with pineapple salsa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 20 mins
- Serves 2
- 1 large gammon steak, rind on (about 350g12oz; 1cm/½in thick)
- a little oil , for brushing
- 1 tsp clear honey
For the salsa
- 100g fresh pineapple , finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli , seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- STEP 1
First, make the salsa. Mix together all of the ingredients (use 1⁄2 a chilli for a milder flavour, all of it for a pungent one). Set aside while you cook the gammon.
- STEP 2
Heat the grill for 3 mins. Use a thin-bladed knife to slice the gammon into 2 steaks, then snip the rind every 2-3cm. Lightly brush with oil. Grill for about 3 mins each side until just firm, then brush over the honey on one side and cook for 1 min more. Remove and leave to stand for 2-3 mins.
- STEP 3
Serve the gammon with the salsa spooned over the top. Good with a chicory salad or green beans and chunky-cut chips.