- vegetable oil , for greasing
- 250g pack good-quality madeira cake , sliced thinly into about 15 pieces
- 4 tbsp marsala , sweet sherry or brandy
- 450g frozen summer berries (or ready-frozen ones)
- 500g pot full-fat, Greek-style yogurt
- 5 tbsp icing sugar , sifted
- 2 x 1-litre tubs vanilla ice cream
- 14 mini meringues
- 2 tbsp chopped toasted hazelnuts
- STEP 1
Grease then line the base and sides of a deep, 20cm round loose-bottomed cake tin with baking parchment. Cover the base of the tin with slices of cake. Fill any gaps with small pieces, trimmed to size. Spoon over 2 tbsp of the alcohol.
- STEP 2
Put 300g of the fruit and the yogurt in a processor. Add the sugar, then pulse until smooth, thick and creamy. Spoon half of the frozen yogurt onto the cake mixture, then scatter with half of the remaining fruit and poke it in. Freeze for about 1½ hrs until firm. Put the rest of the yogurt mixture into the freezer too.
- STEP 3
Let 1 tub of ice cream soften a little, then spoon it on top of the berry layer and flatten with the back of the spoon. Freeze again until firm, then repeat the layers, poking the meringue shells into the top of the ice cream and scattering with the nuts to finish. Freeze for at least 6 hrs, or ideally overnight. Can be frozen for up to 2 weeks.
- STEP 4
To serve, take the cake out the freezer and chill in the fridge for 30 mins. Defrost times will vary depending on how cold your freezer is. Remove the parchment and slide it onto a cake stand or plate. Leave for another 30 mins to soften in the fridge. Dip a knife in boiling water, dry and slice the cake. Do this before each slice for a good clean cut.