Crunchy root & apple 'slaw
- Preparation and cooking time
- Includes 1 hour soaking time
- More effort
- Serves 8
- ½ large or 1 small fennel
- ½ white cabbage (about 500g), cored and thinly shredded
- ½ small red cabbage (about 200g), cored and thinly shredded
- 250g chunk celeriac , peeled
- juice 1 lemon
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- small handful flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- ½ bunch spring onions , shredded lengthways
- 3-4 tbsp seed & nut mixture from a pack, optional
- STEP 1
Shred the fennel thinly. Place in cold water for 1 hr until crisp, then drain and pat dry. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil, then blanch the shredded cabbage, white cabbage first, in boiling water for 2 mins. Drain, then cool quickly under cold running water. Shake dry.
- STEP 2
Slice the celeriac thinly, then cut into sticks. Blanch in boiling water with half the lemon juice for 2 mins, then drain and cool under cold water. The veg can be prepared up to 2 days ahead and kept bagged in the fridge.
- STEP 3
When ready to serve, core and thinly slice the apple and toss with the remaining lemon juice. Beat together the mayonnaise, oil, vinegar and mustard and season to taste. Mix all the vegetables with the apple, parsley and spring onions in a big bowl, then mix in the dressing. Mound into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the seed and nut mix, if using.